Friday, January 16, 2009

Lecavalier rumors

Wow!!! During the whole week we were hearing Lecavalier rumors all over the place everywhere in the newspapers, radio, TV shows. The whole city went crazy to the possibility of finally getting a french superstar here ever since Patrick Roy. Heck even I got excited to the idea of him wearing the Bleu-Blanc-Rouge. Of course, we have all heard about rumors of Vinny coming to Montreal before, But I have never took them seriously because there were never any real indication that he would leave Tampa Bay. I put myself in his place and wondered : "Would I want to leave a place where I am very well respected, makes lots of money, no media presence, sunny weather?". I mean, that's like the perfect working environment, who won't want to work there if you get to chance? But this time, its all different, every indication shows that he is getting traded. First, the financial situation that the bolts are currently in makes Vinny's 11 years $85 millions contract a burden for this team. He is the player with the greatest value and we know that the Lightnings are trying to save money. If you are saying : "But hey!! What about Marty St-Louis??". Well, we all know he doesn't have the same value as Vinny does. The bolts' direction would want to clear as much money as possible for the greatest return in term of assets. The only way to do that is to trade Lecavalier. Another sign which indicates that this is serious, is the fact that Vinny himself is affect by the rumors. How often do you see that happening? An athlete admitting in an interview that the last few days was terrible for him because of the rumors. There must be something serious that was told to him by someone within the organization or from his agent indicating that he has been shopped by Lawton. These two point alone make me realized that this is serious stuff, not just some fabricated rumors. And I didn't even mention Brian Lawton's declaration in all this. Saying that there are no players who are untouchable when you have a franchise player such as Lecavalier who just signed a 11 years contract this summer is just a big stab in the back. If I was in Vinny's shoes, I would be so frustrated that I would ask to be traded immediately. I am not saying that he would be a Habs, but for the first time ever, we have a serious chance in getting him.

No comments:

Post a Comment